Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Trip to the Hospital

Hello everyone!


I apologize for not wishing everyone a happy Valentine's Day yesterday. Wednesday night we took my son to the hospital. He was running and playing, and tripped and fell and put a gash in his beautiful face. My poor little sunshine. He required 4 stitches. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time this has happened. It's actually the third. The first time he got 7 stitches in his chin because he had a fork and was bouncing up and down on his chair, and then he fell off, and the fork went... well, I think you can put two and two together. He was about 2 years old. Last year, he fell out of his bed in the middle of the night and cut open his forehead. The doctors chose not to stitch it, but they did glue it, and we did have to go to the hospital. He was 3. This time, he's about 4, and fell down and required stitches again. Adding to these three trips to the hospital to the time he was hospitalized for a medical condition at 5 months, my beautiful little boy has been to the hospital one time for every year of his life.

I hate to say it, but he's started to look at it like it's old hat. He got the cut, cried and cried, and we told him we'd have to take him to the hospital. At first he said no (not that he was going to have a choice in this matter), and then I told him he'd been there before, when he fell off his bed. Then he remembered and was ok with it. When we pulled up to the hospital, he recognized it and said "Oh, THIS hospital? I LIKE this hospital!! We went here when I fell out of my bed yesterday!".

Well, not exactly yesterday, little love, but it sort of feels that way.

He was a brave soldier. We waited a little while, and then a kind nurse took us in and looked him over. He hadn't lost conciousness (thank goodness!), so they just checked out his eyes to make sure he had no head trauma and then cleaned his wound. When the nice doctor came in and looked him over and stitched him up (well, there's a little more to it, but it's a long story), he was so good. He yelled, but he didn't move. Not an inch. When it was over I hugged him and hugged him and hugged him.

As we left the hospital, my husband and I asked him if he could be more careful so we didn't have to come back to the hospital again. He told us "No, we HAVE to come back. I LIKE it! They give me stickers!"

We asked him if it could not be soon. He told us "No, we'll come back tomorrow".

Let's hope not.

I love you, my little sunshine boy, get better soon!

1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this Jocelyn :o( What a little trooper though. He sounds like a darling, that's for sure. LOL! Let's keep our fingers crossed that he doesn't have to go back. You might consider wrapping him up in bubble wrap until he's older ;o)