Friday, April 18, 2008

10 Days!!

That's quite an absence. Well, what can I say?? It got nice outside, so I went outside. And didn't really come back in for two weeks. I'm not really in now, I'm just sort of taking a small break today. I'll be back out tomorrow.

This time of year is so cool. Nothing happens for the longest damn time and then all of a sudden--BAM!! Everything starts to happen at once. The crab apple tree gets leaves, the Irises jump up. The Peonies pop. The Lilacs get ready to bloom. Up here is so different from LI, where I lived. There, March was the time things would have started to grow and do their re-appearing act. Here, it's just last week that things did it. I get impatient, I admit. But it's almost sweeter when things DO come back up. I have been in my bliss lately.

I also have been mucho busy, too. This is what I've been up to:

Carving out more bed space in the front garden next to the driveway to plant roses in. (Can you ever have enough roses?? I don't think so)

Carving out more space behind the lampost for more plants (happiness!)


More space here, too!

And here!!

This is a project and a half. we built these boxes (as you may remember) and filled them with dirt. Then it just looked like random boxes on the lawn. Not liking that too much, I drew out a new bed to go around it. It was a bit ambitious--my guess would be 80 feet by 20 feet at the largest part. So, that means lots of grass removal. But then I didn't like that it was so flat, so we built a hill (we meaning me and my little son, who LOVES gardening, it seems. Happiness!) in front of it. This took us all last week. A couple of days ago, I put down the landscape fabric. I don't like that stuff. It tries to fly away all the time. Really annoying. But it's done. Once it's planted, it'll be GORGEOUS!!

Tilled the vegetable garden (the only rectangular patch in the yard), and used wood that the previous owners had thrown in the back of the yard to make a path and a bed. I'm not done with this yet, but I am excited about it.

This is a shot of the border that joins to the raised beds we built. I made it more "roundy" this year, and joined this front bed to the back. It was an undertaking, that's for sure. But I like how round it is. Now I need to fill it with plants!

So, lots of stuff going on here. This time of year is usually pretty busy for me, but this year it's been REALLY busy, because of all the projects I took on. I will try to blog as often as possible, though, I do miss reading up on everyone's everything. I hope you are all enjoying your days. I will post more pictures, I promise!

[LittleBrookSiggie.png]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No - you can never have too many roses. I can't wait to see pictures mid-Summer when the new beds are planted.

I swear our next house is going to have a sunny yard so I can garden properly.