Monday, August 11, 2008

I Put On My Socks Today

Sounds like a song, doesn't it??

I put on my socks today,

I looked out, the sky was grey,

something something something

hey hey hey...

Ok, well... that's a work in progress. Maybe it's a country song. I dunno.

Anywho, I put on my socks today. Why? 'Cause it was CHILLY!!

I don't wear socks in the summer. Ever. In fact, I don't even wear shoes if I don't have to. I go barefoot all the time, if I can. It's just a thing I have. But today I had to put on socks. It's cold and damp. Summer ends quickly here. Around mid-August, that seems to be about it. I can't claim a long history on this whole theory, I've only lived here a couple of years, but for the 3 summers I've gone through, mid August and late August is the end of the summer and the beginning of the fall. Even the trees agree with me on this. Look at this:

Can't see it? How about now:


No? How about a big, blurry version?


Them's leaves are yella!

It's the beginning of the end. Woo hoo!

I'm not a huge fan of summer, though I try to be. I try to enjoy all the seasons, because otherwise, I'd be missing out on part of my life, and that would suck. Spring I enjoy because the Earth smells so good, and the weather is so mild, and it's time to plant and there are so many possibilities ahead. Winter I enjoy because it's time to be indoors and the holidays are around, and it's hibernation time. Plus I really like snow. Is there anything in the world like the quiet outside after a good snowfall? I don't think so. Fall is my favorite time because the Earth smells so good and the leaves are so pretty, and there's harvest and chilly nights that aren't cold but just a bit crisp. I feel energized in the Fall in a way I don't feel any other time of the year. Fall is crisp and dark and watchful and exciting. I don't know why. But there is a connection there that I feel every single time. Summer I have a tough time with. I am trying to look at it as the time that the plants mature and produce food and the bounty of it is wonderful, because it is wonderful. But the heat just gets me every time. I hate the heat. So it's a work in progress. I will find a balance with Summer. I just have to see where the peace with it lies.

But today I had a piece of fall. And I felt that energized excitement that I always feel at this time. I know I'm a bit premature here--summer's not quite done having it's say, and I'm sure that later this week, the heat will return, even if it's slightly less edgy. But I enjoyed today, for sure. I got to put on my socks. :)

[LittleBrookSiggie.png]

1 comment:

Pumpkin said...

ROFL! Great post Jocelyn :o) You've made a good point but I'm the same as you, I love my fall!