Thursday, October 4, 2007

Accomplishments and New Starts

Yesterday I finished the quilting on my Halloween quilt! Yeay! I am so happy, because Halloween is just around the corner, and I really wanted to be able to use it this year. I am about to go and put the binding on, and hopefully I will be able to post pictures tomorrow of the finished product. I am very happy with how it came out. It took quite a while to quilt, but it was worth it. On to the next project....


...which is a blue and white quilt that I've had planned for some time. Here you can see the fabrics I am going to use in it. The quilt design itself is another original. I like the colors, because I like blue, and I think I'm going to really like the quilt when it's put together. It's hard to say, though, because right now all I have are a bunch of fabrics and a computer drawing of a quilt. It's definitely no replacement for having the real thing. The computer can only give a general idea of the quilt, not really the true feel for it. Sometimes I can really see the quilt in my head and I get so excited about it, and other times I really can't see it, and I feel like I'll have to "wait and see" what it will really look like. This time is one of the latter. I am hoping it will turn out better in real life than I am imagining.
What you see above are the fabrics for the main block on the left, and then two fabrics to add into the border on the right. This is a better pic of the block fabrics:

The white is a tone on tone, not a solid. It doesn't show in the picture, though. I've actually been gathering these fabrics for years. In fact, when I pulled them off of my "to make" shelf in my studio, I realized I've had two of the fabrics for 3 years. The others were added later, found in different shops and at different shows. I love the hunt, that's for sure.

Last night, I also finished the green dress of the center fairy in Three for Tea, which I am making for my daughter. That was a very happy moment, I can tell you. This was a big accomplishment because that was probably the largest part of the piece. And I have to say, that dress was confusing. I don't really understand what all the billowing it's doing is actually doing. It doesn't make sense to me. And I guess because although I could follow the symbols without a problem, I couldn't really say, "Oh, this part is the waist, this part is the bodice", because I had no real idea some of the time. So that made it go more slowly for me. I am glad to be done. The other fairies' dresses are much more clear cut. Hopefully I will make much faster progress now, and then I'll share a picture!

Thank you for reading my blog today. Have a great day!

No comments: