Sunday, October 7, 2007

Making Progress and Bad, bad stashing

Hello everyone!
So, just to start off and prove that I do indeed stitch and that I am making progress, I have a picture of Three for Tea with that green dress finished and one of the pink dresses underway. Here it is!! So I do stitch. But I am just itching to put this piece aside, I really am. I have a whole bunch of monochromes and smalls like scissor fobs and ornaments on my mind, and I am really wanting to start them. But I can't put this aside until I make more progress. Sigh. I will perservere. I am determined to get this done for my daughter.

As to other progress, I did finish my Halloween quilt completely, as in bound and everything. I have a couple pictures of details, but no overall, because I haven't hung it outside for photographing yet. I hope to do so soon.











These are the borders.



This is one of the blocks












Now, I didn't share with you, but at the time I was quilting this quilt, I had a minor "catastrophe" with my sewing machine. The darning foot that is used for free motion quilting broke.




Picture of the offending presser foot----->>>

(evil presser foot!)





I have NEVER had a presser foot break on me before. This was a first. If you can see in the picture where I circled (I know it's not easy to see), the plastic dojammer that holds the circle foot guider-thingy broke right in half, causing the broken half of the dojammer to fly away through my studio, and then of course the circle foot guider-thingy to come off and be sewn into the quilt. Very useful. Well, luckily, there is a sewing store about 20 ish miles from me that carries the make of machine I have (Janome), so I took off to get a new foot.

No problem, they had the foot for all of $10. But could I just get the foot and go home? No, of course not. I had to look around first. I figured, I drove the 20ish miles, there were no kids with me, so why not? And see what followed me home:












On the left is a stack of half yards, partially calicos, partially homespuns, and on the right is a yard and a half of a Moda fabric that I love! It's not a great picture of the Moda. The color is really like a subtle chartreuse, if there is any such thing. It's not as mossy a green as the picture shows. The calicos and homespuns wanted to come home with me to be made into pumpkins and fall things. It was a brilliant idea that occurred to me as I was looking at them, of course. And the Moda, well, I just really like it. I know I'll find a use for it eventually. So, moral of the story, went in for a $10 presser foot, spent $60 instead. I am bad.

Then today I went to Joann for fabric for my daughter and son's Halloween costumes, and found these patterns:






And I thought, how cute? I can use some of those fabrics I bought the other day! Plus, I can make those pumpkins as planned, and use up all of that fabric, and won't that be productive of me? And the patterns were on sale for $1.99 each. What a bargain on top of it all. Ah yes, the way we reason with ourselves...

I also saw this pattern at Joann's. At first, I thought, how cute! And then I noticed that the scissors these animals are holding are stuck into their backs. And the frogs have them stuck into their mouths. Does that seem wrong to anyone else? I don't think I could create something like that just to stab it in the back with scissors. It's just wrong on so many levels. So, needless to say, I passed it up.


And that's my evil stashing story. I hope you all have a great day! Thank you for stopping by!

No comments: