Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Hello and Welcome!

Hi there!

Welcome to my blog! Thank you for stopping by. This is my first post, and I'm pretty new to this, so I guess I'll just tell you about me. I am a 30 something mom of two small kids. I live in upstate New York, which I like much better than where I used to live (Long Island). My family and I have 2 cats, Percy and Sam, and we live in a nice house that needs a little TLC, which my husband and I have been doing gradually. When I'm not taking care of my kids, or cleaning the house, (or painting/fixing the house), I love to cross stitch and quilt. It's pretty much an obsession for me--in fact, I can't just sit in front of the TV anymore and do nothing. I am always keeping my hands busy.

I have been cross stitching for 18 years, and quilting for half that time. I design my own quilt patterns, and am hoping someday to get them published or find some way to sell them. I quilt as much as I can, and I have a MAJOR fabric obsession! Everywhere I go, fabric just "calls" out to me to be made into something. It's a great way to be creative, but UGH, it can cost so much money, so I am trying to be good. I'm only slightly less obsessed with cross stitch patterns. I like many designers, and the styles range all over the map. Currently, I'm obsessed with monochrome French patterns and "old time" samplers. But I know that will change!

It's fall up here in New York, and the leaves are turning beautifully. The air is gettting crisper during the day, and chilly at night. I love the fall. It is totally "my time" of year. I think that's because I am a "nester". Or, that's what my mother calls me. I guess it is true, though, I love to have things around me like warm quilts and I love to can fruits and vegetables so I have them for later. Autumn just lends itself to that. Quilts for when you get cold, comforting things to eat like casseroles and homemade apple butter. The days are getting shorter and it's almost time for fires in the fireplace. Definitely my time of year.

Well, since this is a stitching blog, I think I should show you some stitching! I have a lot of pieces in progress, but currently I have a Mirabilia, Three for Tea, which is my focus piece. Reason being, my daughter saw it at the Mirabilia BB and fell in love with it-surprising the heck out of me, because she never really gives any sort of stitching a second look. She's only 5. But when she saw this piece, she asked if I would make it for her. I answered that I would "some day", and of course, promptly ordered the pattern and beads and fabric and whatnot, so I could make it for her. I am working on it on the sly--I mean it to be a present for Christmas. I started it September 1st, so you're seeing about a month's worth of work, done in bits and pieces. I am not as far as I would have liked, because I was working on some embroidery for a designer, but now that project is done, I can work on this piece all the more. So, without further ado, here's what I have so far:


Actually, this piece is teaching me a lesson of sorts. The fabric it's on is called "Forget Me Knots" by Sugar Maple Fabrics. It's the fabric my daughter fell in love with. It is not something I would have ever picked--it's blue and pink and splotchy, and I'm more of a tonal, subtle, not pink kind of person. But it just makes the thread sing, and the colors are SO vibrant on it, so the lesson I learned is try new things, and go for things out of your comfort zone that you may not love because they just may be the perfect choice! I will post a picture of it again when I get a little further.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I really appreciate it!

No comments: