Monday, November 19, 2007

Update

Hey everyone!


It's been a while since my last post. I have been so busy! This weekend was a whirlwind of activity. So, without further ado, this is what I've been up to....




Nahnah nah nahnah nah nahnah....





Nahnah nah nahnah nah nahnah....



CAT BED!!!




CAT BED!!!!

(If that whole intro didn't work for you, try putting it to the Batman theme song in your head. It works and makes the whole thing so much more exciting!) The cats had taken to lying on anything they could find on the floor--the kids' coats, a quilt, whatever. I have no idea why, because we have 3 perfectly good couches, but no, they were on the floor. So I took pity and made them a bed. They sort of use it. I still found Sam on my son's pajamas this morning, and the bed was otherwise unoccupied, so who knows what cats are thinking?? I made it big enough for both of them to sleep on, but I have only seen them sleep on it one at a time. They seem to like it. It matches nothing in the house, but I don't care because I really like it! I LOVE toile! I LOVE black and white! And what goes so well with black and white?? RED! And do I have any black, white and red anywhere in the house?? NO! But I still like it. If anything, it matches the cats themselves. Oh, they are SO fashionable!

I also finished requilting my boo-boo quilt. I am very pleased with it now, though it may be an oops. Percy is modeling it for me here. He's so helpful. The echo quilting gave it the most delightful nubbly texture. It is a delight to feel. I will have to remember the technique for another quilt that I don't mess up. Only downside I can see is that it takes a lot of time, and it leaves a trillion thread-ends. Don't like those thread-ends. Blech. Not at all. Oh well. Now that it's done, I need to give it a name. I was thinking "Dammit", but then I figure that will be awkward when my daughter learns to read (which she almost can already). How do you tell her not to say the word then it's written on a quilt? Yeah, exactly. So I've settled for "It's a Mistake", after the Men at Work song. Great song, that one. I think that's what I'll go with.

That quilt broke my rule about not using the same fabric line for one quilt. I usually like to mix and match lines, because if you just pull one line, it's kind of like cheating. You KNOW the fabrics are going to go together, where's the challenge? But I loved the fabric, so I couldn't help it. It's the Fall Back in Time line from Moda and Sandy Gervais. It is so cool and funky, I couldn't help myself. I've only broken this rule three times now, and I think---yes--each time it's been for a Moda line. Damn you Moda!! Ah, just kidding. Keep coming up with the beautiful fabbies. I will try to resist the easy way out.

Let's see, what else? I puttered in my studio yesterday and cleaned/reorganized it. I am so proud of myself. I re-did my categories of fabrics, hopefully for the last time. I can't guarantee it, though. I am a real stickler for categories. And then I'll get a fabric or two that doesn't fit the categories I have, and I'll have to make a new one, and then rethink all the old ones, and so on. Anyway, I cleaned it up, rearranged, reorganized, and so on, and then pulled fabrics for two new quilts. Aren't they pretty?? I think so.
I am TOTALLY wanting to dive into one of these two piles, roll around in them for a little while, and then get serious and make a quilt out of them. But I can't. I have 4 quilt tops ready to be quilted and I'm sick of looking at them. So my deal with myself is no new quilts until one of the waiting tops is done and off my ladder (where I hang the pending projects). Yeah, good luck with that. I don't think I can resist long. I don't mind the quilting, but I LOVE the piecing. Something about fondling fabrics. I don't know. It's probably an illness or something treatable. Fabric rehab, anyone? Not me. I don't ever want to be cured.

And in final news, it's snowing. I'm not really used to the weather up here just yet. On LI, it took forever for fall to come, but then it lasted a while. But here, it goes from summer to WINTER like that. It seems like fall is sort of 3 weeks in between. And it smells different. I don't know how, maybe it's the type of trees. On LI, there are a lot of Oaks. Here there are a lot of Maples. The leaves on the Maples are so much prettier than the Oaks, but they smell different. It takes getting used to, at least for me.
Again, thanks for visiting me! I hope you all had a great weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great cat bed! Wonderful fabrics! Mmmm, snow! I think I'll come at live at your house :o) heh

Pumpkin said...

Jocelyn, you are a real lovely sewer! The cat bed is just too gorgeous. I wish you lived closer so you could make one for my Brie :o)

Yes, snow. It's coming whether we like it or not ;o)

Stitcher S said...

Great cat bed, and what lovely piles of fabric.

The trees are so gorgeous. I can't imagine living where everything was so pretty.

Take care!