Thursday, November 29, 2007

Sorta Famous!

I know, two posts in as many days. I couldn't help myself, though. Let me tell you why...

Back in August, a new fabric designer named Mark Lipinski put out an APB for embroiderers/embellishers. Seems he had designed a fabric line that was meant to be embellished, and he wanted to put out some samples at quilt market that were done to show others what the fabric could look like when it had been worked on by someone. When I heard about it, I thought "I can do that", so I emailed him that I could embroider and would be happy to help, but I got no response. I let it go for a few days, and then I figured, "no, I'm going to be persistent with this", so I emailed him again, and attached a couple of sample pictures of my work just to help convince him. He called the next day. I got the fabric, and started to work on it right away. It was a pretty big project, just because of what I could SEE in the fabric to do. Every time I finished one part, I saw something else I could do in another part, and so on. Long story short, 70 intensive hours later, it was done.

I sent it back to the designer, figuring that was that and probably I'd never hear about it again. Pretty much I never did hear again. However, in the yahoo group the designer has, he posted that a magazine called "The Quilter" was interested in photographing the fabric line, and possibly a few of the embellished pieces that were done. There were a lot of embellished pieces. I was by no means the only one to do one. I filed the info in the back of my head with a "maybe mine'll get chosen" sort of thought, and that was that. I just found out two weeks ago that the January issue was the one where the fabric was featured. I ordered the magazine to see if I was in it, and guess what??? Yeah, I bet you've already guessed, but I'm going to say it anyway. I MADE THE MAGAZINE!!

Of course, my name is nowhere in it. But it's my piece, folks! Here's the article:

And this is the close up of the pieces. Mine's the one in the middle:

Isn't that a kicker? One of the funniest parts of all this, is not that they used it, because that just amazes me, but that I actually did two pieces, and the one they used is the one with less embellishment. The other one was beaded and embroidered up to the teeth. Too funny. This is what both the pieces look like for real:





This would be the over the top one









And the more "Plain Jane" of the two.





And so there you go. I'm kind of famous. Woohoo!

3 comments:

Needlearts Kelly said...

Wow! Congratulations to you. Both of your pieces are beautiful! You should be quite proud of yourself.

The fabric is a great idea as well.

Kelly

Cheryl said...

Well congratulations! You so should have got your name mentioned though for such beautiful work

Pumpkin said...

That is AWESOME Jocelyn!!!! It feels good to be published doesn't it? :o) Congrats! Your two pieces are just lovely. You've got a lot of talent girl ;o)