Friday, December 7, 2007

A Virtual Cookie Swap

So, I've been thinking, since my post about cookies. A few of you commented here and told me you do a cookie swap or that you do baking for the holidays. But of course, we're all pretty far away from one another, and shipping cookies, well, doesn't work out so well. So, what about a virtual cookie swap?? Here's my idea:


If you want to participate, post a recipe on your blog, with pictures of the cookies, if you make them. Dress them up or slap them on a plate, whatever your style is. If you don't make them at all this year, but you have in the past and love them, that's great too. We are not picky. Tell why you like the cookies or a story about the cookies. Come back to this post and leave a comment so that we can all go and see what cookies you baked. If you don't have a Blogger account, just leave your blog address. We can all get some great recipes out of it, and I think it will be fun! Sound ok? I will start...

This is a recipe I discovered by accident, when looking for a good chocolate chip cookie recipe. It was on the back of a flour bag, of all things. Most of the ones I have tried make ok cookies, but they go stale pretty quickly, and then go to waste. Since I had just bought a new cookie jar (or mega-tub, which might be more accurate--it's the one on the right) and needed to fill it (sad sight, having an empty cookie jar, no??), I came upon this recipe and tried it. It's a success, and I've used it lots of times. And though I haven't made it for the holidays, I do make it for "everyday". This time, because the holidays are getting close, I added holiday M&Ms instead of chocolate chips (Ooh, I am TOO wild). It came out great again. So I thought I would share it with you. Here it is:


Extraordinary Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar

1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla

2 eggs

4 cups flour (I usually use 3 1/2, because sometimes 4 is too much--I think it depends on the humidity in the room)

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 bag (24oz) chocolate chips



1. Heat oven to 350 F.

2. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs on medium speed until combined and light and fluffy.

3. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt. The dough will be stiff.

4. Stir in chocolate chips

5. On an ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart.

6. Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until light brown. Centers will be soft.

7. Cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet onto cooling rack

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

These cookies are, as my kids would say, "terlicious!". They really are. I would recommend them highly. And they make a TON. So that's nice, too, especially if you have kids (and a husband) who like cookies, or if you are giving them away or if you just have a cookie "mega-tub" that needs filling. It does the trick.
Next time I will share a recipe from the cookies I am baking to give out this holiday. But now it's your turn. Post a recipe! I'd love to see what everyone's baking this year.

Thanks, everyone!

3 comments:

staci said...

Yummy! Chocolate chip cookies are my absolute fave, especially when they're still warm and melty :)

I don't have a blog but here is a really easy recipe for delicious and festive cookies: a batch of basic sugar cookie dough and in a separate bowl combine dried cranberries, chopped walnuts and white chocolate chips. Shape the dough into balls and roll into the bowl mixture and bake till golden. The charm of this is that you can mix and match dried fruit, nut and chip combinations to suit your taste; try dried apricots with chopped pecans and white chocolate chips :)

Alberta said...

Jocelyn, those cookies look so yummy...thanks for sharing the recipe...this may become my new favorite.

Pumpkin said...

Ohhhhh, I might have to get DH to try that recipe :o)

Great, now I want a cookie!