Sunday, March 23, 2008

Spring Has Sprung

ahem...

Spring has sprung
The grass is riz
I wonder where the flowers is?
But they'll get here, sooner or later
'Cause the sun's direct rays just crossed the equator
So here I stand,
My banner held high,
'Cause Spring has sprung
And so have I!!

This somewhat grammatically incorrect poem brought to you by my third grade teacher, Mr. Mammina. I have no idea if he wrote it or someone else did, but I do remember that we little third graders walked up and down the halls of our school chanting it on the first day of Spring. I believe we also had banners. I love this little poem, which still sticks in my head, um, 20 odd years later.

So what have you been up to since the seasons changed?? I've been outside!!! Woo hoo!!! Yesterday and Friday my husband and I built a MASSIVE planter box on one border of our yard. It's a 40x4 foot gigantor, 1 foot high on one section, 18" high on another. I would show you a picture, but it's nothing to look at right now, just an open box with nothing in it. I have to order dirt for it (7 yards--oh fun) and then plant it with Butterfly Bushes and Forsythia, and put up a post for a birdhouse. Doesn't that sound nice? I think it'll be lovely. Then I'm going to plant in front of it and to the side of it with a few more bushes and some roses and perennials. Yeay!

I love Spring.

We cleaned up the other gardens yesterday, cutting away the dead grasses (I have a number of Maiden Grasses-I leave them for the structure during the winter, plus birds sit in them) and pulling away any old leaves that had collected in the beds. Prompting all our neighbors to shortly do the same, I'm sure. Today one of our next door neighbors is out raking, and I know the others will soon follow. We are clean-up trendsetters!!

Well, that's about it for me. I hope you all have nice weather and are enjoying it. If you celebrate Easter, have a great holiday!
[LittleBrookSiggie.png]

2 comments:

LackingFaith said...

I had no idea there was more to that poem beyond "I wonder where the flowers is?" I don't think your teacher made it up, but clearly you paid much more attention in school then I ever did to remember the whole thing.

It is insane how productive you and your husband are on the weekends. I am lucky if I can bring myself to do laundry and a little baking, let alone massive projects outside. The jealousy is inspiring though so I hope you keep posting about it!

Pumpkin said...

I hope you'll excuse me while I'm sick for a moment...

Spring has arrived there???? There is absolutely NO sign of it here :o( Wahhhhhhh!

I'm SO envious of your springtime clean up right now.