Wednesday, September 17, 2008

SOS #4

Another little quilt:

This one is not my pattern. It's the "Everyday Table Topper" from Heather Mulder Petersen's book, Charmed and Dangerous. Luckily, though I never have any ideas for those charm packs, Heather does. Yeay! I borrowed this one. I think it's cute and bright and fun. It uses the charm pack from the It's Snowing line by Moda.

My new project is to make a quilt similar to this:


You can click on the picture for the website. It will give you a much better view of the quilt.

I am intrigued by this quilt. I have been wanting to do a tree of life quilt for a while, but I was never happy with any border option I came up with. I like this one because it has no border but still ends well. I have chosen my fabrics, which will be more vibrant than the original, and I have changed the tree block a little. I will also not be making the quilt as big. This one is 84x88 inches, which is pretty large. I have mine at about 68x68, which is still large for a lap quilt, but the size will also make it very snuggly. The block size of the tree I drafted is 14x14, so I will need 13 blocks. That means 364 half square triangles to make those leaves! I will be busy for a while.

These are some of the fabrics I've chosen, primarily they are the leaf colors. The browns for the trunks are not shown here, and neither is the background fabric, which is like a warm tan that looks like parchment. The background fabric really makes these colors shine, so I'm very happy with it.

The challenge here will be to get through making 364 half square triangles without drifting off into another project. When things get repetitive like that, my mind tends to wander, and off I go onto something else-or many something elses (just ask the crazy quilt I've been working on since February). So I'll try to stay on course. I'll keep you posted!


[LittleBrookSiggie.png]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's my pickles???

Pumpkin said...

Lovely Jocelyn :o)

Your new project looks like a big one but you can do it!

I was fabric shopping today but I wish I had had more time.

Jocelyn said...

Greg-On their way!

Cathey-Thank you! Yeah, this project is a doozy. I am worried about my mind wandering off in the middle of it, which is the biggest thing. I will have to try to stay focused!

mumzy said...

Wow! I just love the colours of the material for this new project. I certainly look forward to see your progress on this. Really know what you mean about the repetitive but just think how proud and happy you will be when you have it finished.

Have a great day!